Pages

6/8/12

How Not to Get Funded on Kickstarter.

I'm a fan of Kickstarter. Not just because I get cool stuff when I donate my lunch money. But because I like helping people and I really like helping creative people! But I'm seeing something that's left me shaking my head. People who start a fundraiser for the project and do absolutely nothing to promote it. You can have a fantastic idea, but if you don't get your ass out there and promote your idea you won't reach your Kickstarter goal. And if you don't reach your goal, you won't get any funding. 3 projects I pledged on didn't reach their goal. And all 3 did next to nothing when it came to promotions. Kickstarter does work. But you can't put up an idea and sit back and wait for the money to roll in. You have to interact with your donors. You have to link your Kickstarter site directly to either you website, Facebook, Google+ or twitter account. Preferably a combo or all of the above. We donors like to know even more about the project than what you put on Kickstarter. It's not always the cheapest or the flashiest or the ones that offer cool incentives that get the donations that get my attention. It's the ones that person who's asking for my money makes a point of giving a rat's ass about their project and interacting with donors. I saw a mom and pop candy company reach and surpass their goals repeatedly because they made a point of keeping in contact with their donors (and offering cool candy) and promoting on their Facebook page and on their website. Promote, promote, promote! Ok, that's pretty much what I wanted to get off my chest. I'm half asleep as it is, so I'll end my rant...here.

2 comments:

  1. Good vent! I shall have to check out this web site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do! My first donation went to fund a REALLY cool sci-fi movie demo called The Last Cause. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thelastcause/the-last-cause-feature-film

    ReplyDelete